Public access assistance

Alex Brown A.BROWN at uws.edu.au
Thu Jan 13 20:11:48 EST 2005

To all,

I am new to this list and seek assistance, so if this topic has been
broached before, I do apolgise.

I am looking for information on a software solution for assisting
patrons in their use of public workstations.  I am wondering if there is
a browser plugin, or application available whereby a user at a public
workstation can flag the librarian at the information desk for
assistance.  My reasoning is that users are usually reluctant to vacate
their workstation in order to seek assistance fearing the lose of the
workstation and the other reason is the looks of fear and suspicion on
the faces of users when lirarians 'rove' through the workstation areas
seeing if anyone appears to require assistance.

In essense it would be a desktop means of flagging the librarian
'on-duty' who would be alerted to the request through their own desktop.
Whilst this looks like a reduction in the face-to-face contact between
user and librarian, it could reduce the amount of time a user would
spend trying to figure out their problem when assistance is only a
keystroke or click away.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanking you in advance.