digitising botanic specimens

Rowan Brownlee r.brownlee at library.usyd.edu.au
Thu Jan 13 22:33:24 EST 2005

I'm working with botanists & taxonomists at the Universities of Sydney &
Wollongong to create a couple of botanic image databases & an electronic
version of a botanic text (Flora of the Sydney Region).   The work will
involve scanning / photographing botanic specimens as well as slides &
photographs.

There are some excellent guides to digital imaging available and I am
interested in how these are being applied & procedures developed in a
botanic context.  I am also interested in descriptive, preservation &
technical metadata relating to botanic images.

I'd be very interested in hearing of related projects.  There appears to be
quite a bit of work going on in this area - particularly in relation to
herbaria - some examples follow.

Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew (UK)
http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/

Missouri Botanical Garden
http://www.mobot.org/

Royal Horticultural Society (UK)
http://www.rhs.org.uk/

Natural History Museum (UK)
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/

New York Botanical Garden
http://www.nybg.org/

Smithsonian Institution - Dept of Botany
http://www.nmnh.si.edu/botany/

University of Wisconsin State Herbarium
http://www.botany.wisc.edu/herbarium/

University of Michigan Herbarium
http://herbarium.lsa.umich.edu/

US Dept of Agriculture
http://plants.usda.gov/

Royal Botanical Gardens (Canada)
http://www.rbg.ca/

Harvard Herbaria
http://www.huh.harvard.edu/

University of Florida Herbarium
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herbarium/

--
Rowan Brownlee
Faculty Liaison Librarian - Biological Sciences

Phone   +61 2 9036 9511
Fax     +61 2 9351 3852
Email   r.brownlee at library.usyd.edu.au