Google and librarians or if you cannot beat them join them?

stephen.barnett at cdu.edu.au stephen.barnett at cdu.edu.au
Tue Jan 11 18:46:02 EST 2005

I am exploring for a possible article the ideas around how academic
librarians have accepted that their role in the 21st century, is as Gary
Price has indicated, is to "offer our skills in making choices on where to
start searching ... and on quality issues. In other words we can save
people time in acquiring accurate and timely information."[Price, Gary
http://www.infotoday.com/searcher/nov03/price.shtml]
I want to explore ways in which my colleagues around the world have handled
the issues. Have you run sessions like "Tips and Tricks in using Google" or
similar?

I was moved to consider this paper when I read the paper by John Regazzi,
managing director of market development at Elsevier, describing studies
that show 70 percent of professionals use the Internet in their work (even
91 percent of those over age 55 use it six or seven times each week). When
Elsevier researchers asked librarians and scientists to name the top three
most reliable online services, librarians named ScienceDirect, ISI's Web of
Science, and Medline. Scientists, on the other hand, named Google, Yahoo!,
and PubMed. !

I would welcome comments, ideas and feedback!!

Stephen Michael Barnett,
Information Literacy and Liaison Coordinator
The Library
Charles Darwin University
Casuarina Campus
Ellengowan Drive