[WEB4LIB] Re: Reported EBSCO database problems with Firefox

Anna Creech CreechA at cwu.EDU
Wed Feb 23 14:13:41 EST 2005

I prefer the User Agent Switcher extension, as it gives me the option of
Netscape and Opera as well as IE.
http://www.chrispederick.com/work/firefox/useragentswitcher/

Anna

-----------------------------------
Anna L. Creech, MLS
Serials & Electronic Resources Librarian
Central Washington University
Serials Department - Library
400 E. University Way
Ellensburg, WA  98926-7548
(509) 963-1718

>>> Andrew Darby <adarby at ithaca.edu> 2/23/2005 9:31:23 AM >>>
I don't think this constitutes a solution, but there is a firefox
extension (ieview) that allows you to right click on any page and "View

this page in IE"--basically, launching IE and taking you to the same
page you're on.  Quite handy for a number of situations . . . .

ieview (i think this is a persistent link):

https://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&id=35&vid=1179

Andrew Darby
Web Services Librarian
Ithaca College Library
http://www.ithaca.edu/library/

Char!ie wrote:
> Today one our reference librarians told me they have been having
problems
> with EBSCO databases and Firefox. For example, when they click on an
article
> title in a results list from an Advanced Search in either CINAHL or
Inspect
> a pop-up box appears stating "the document contains no data". So no
detailed
> citation/abstract is displayed. Also, if you try to add citations to
> "folder" within these EBSCO databases and choose "folder has items"
the same
> pop-up appears.
>
> All of the above seems to work fine in IE.
>
> One of our librarians tried to troubleshoot this with EBSCO with the
last
> response being:
>
> "..It seems there is a common problem with everyone across the board
from
> Yahoo to EBSCO with Mozilla,
> Firefox or Netscape and Tech Support suggested using Internet
Explorer to
> see if it resolved the problem. ."
>
> We have recently switched half of our workstations to Firefox to test
it
> out. Other than this problem we have received no other reported
problems.
> However, some librarians are suggesting we switch the browser back to
IE