Firefox revolution over?

george at library.caltech.edu george at library.caltech.edu
Wed Feb 23 12:57:05 EST 2005

Arriving late to the party, but I had a relevant experience yesterday
which I suspect will not be unique.  After years of fighting to maintain
multiple (read 2) browser options on the public workstations, and almost
a year trying to restore the dual browser option, I was treated to
upbeat comments from IT staff about Firefox, especially noting the
built-in RSS support.

If library/institutional/corporate IT momentum shifts to Firefox in the
near term because of the well documented advantages of
Firefox/vulnerabilities of IE, it won't matter what IE7 brings to the
table in 2006(?).  Reading the stories linked in last week's posts, an
initial beta is proposed for late summer with an already stated plan for
at least a second beta before any finished version is released of IE7.
With the usual schedule slip, it is hardly a jest to wonder if IE7 is
shorthand for IE(200)7.

George S. Porter
Sherman Fairchild Library of Engineering & Applied Science
California Institute of Technology
Mail Code 1-43, Pasadena, CA 91125-4300
Telephone (626) 395-3409 Fax (626) 431-2681
http://library.caltech.edu
contributor http://stlq.info |
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/fosblog.html