Reported EBSCO database problems with Firefox

Char!ie umassdlcc at umassd.edu
Wed Feb 23 12:00:29 EST 2005

Today one our reference librarians told me they have been having problems
with EBSCO databases and Firefox. For example, when they click on an article
title in a results list from an Advanced Search in either CINAHL or Inspect
a pop-up box appears stating "the document contains no data". So no detailed
citation/abstract is displayed. Also, if you try to add citations to a
"folder" within these EBSCO databases and choose "folder has items" the same
pop-up appears.

All of the above seems to work fine in IE.

One of our librarians tried to troubleshoot this with EBSCO with the last
response being:

"..It seems there is a common problem with everyone across the board from
Yahoo to EBSCO with Mozilla,
Firefox or Netscape and Tech Support suggested using Internet Explorer to
see if it resolved the problem. ."

We have recently switched half of our workstations to Firefox to test it
out. Other than this problem we have received no other reported problems.
However, some librarians are suggesting we switch the browser back to IE
from Firefox. I said this might be a temporary solution, but that it would
not help our users that use other browsers from home or other places on
campus.

Have others experience this problem with Firefox? I looked through the list
and only saw problems reported related to ActiveX. Thoughts?

charlie mcneil
systems & digital services librarian
umass dartmouth library
(508) 999-8680