[Web4lib] Non-filtering solutions

Marty Williams/CoM Marty.Williams at marion.sa.gov.au
Tue Aug 30 10:21:18 EDT 2005

Hi from Oz

The perennial issue of 'protecting' children from accessing porn on the
internet in public libraries has raised it's ugly head in our local media.
I am putting together an options on means of decreasing the chance of this
happening, including policies, physical location, training and education,
bookings software and (erk!) filtering. Just trying to tap into the wealth
of knowledge (and I'm sure opinions) on this list to see if anyone has any
alternative strategies / technologies that could be included? I have found
some useful info on a paper called 'Youth, Pornography and the Internet'
http://search.nap.edu/html/youth_internet/notice.html, but always looking
for more.

Thanks in advance

Marty Williams
Coordinator, Information and Technology Services
City of Marion Library Service
83756732
0411980194

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too
dark to read.
— Groucho MARX

 Scanned by Trend ScanMail