[Web4lib] RE: Web4lib Digest, Vol 5, Issue 17 -- RSS feeds

Peter Schoenberg PSchoenberg at EPL.CA
Fri Aug 19 16:07:57 EDT 2005

Hi
At www.EPL.ca our subject pages use RSS feeds to enhance specific pages.

Government> Govt Alberta (Official Gov news feed)
Government> Govt Canada (Official Gov news feed)
News (BBC world news feed)
Edmonton (Local CBC news feed)
Alberta Centennial (Gov centennial specific feed)
We had a couple of entertainment related ones, but they crashed too often (e.g. Rolling Stones music)
This posting reminds me that we have not added any new feeds over the last month or two.

We also generate RSS feeds of our subject pages.  These feeds include any additions to all pages underneath the highest level page.  Additions could be new web sites, licensed databases, links into the catalogue, internal links.

Just last week we enabled Blog Entries on our subject pages, (they are also included in the subject page feeds).   Strictly speaking they are not "blogs" but they are blog-like enough for our purposes.

Our distributed subject page authors/editors, can add a feed to their page by typing the url of the feed into a web form on their edit page.   They can add a blog entry in the same way (typing text in a box).   The format, title and page placement are all controlled by our web edit pages.

Not sure how many blog entries we will be seeing, but we are hoping it will allow a more personal and less institutional feel to the subject pages.

We use our home built cold fusion pages to provide the content management / web edit pages for our authors.

Here is our current list of feeds we offer: http://www.epl.ca/RSSFeeds/EPLRSSFeeds.cfm

Peter Schoenberg
Virtual Services
Edmonton Public LIbrary