Fwd: pop ups

Robin Boulton rboulton at linc.lib.il.us
Fri Jan 17 12:15:35 EST 2003

With apologies for cross-posting, I'm seeking any recommendations or
helpful ideas on this topic.

I'm using a program called AnalogXPOW! on my machine right now. It works OK
but you have to manually tell it each time a new popup appears to add it to
the kill list. That particular ad won't reappear but similar ones with
near-identical names will still pop until added to the list. I would like
to find something that can identify a popup (or a pop-under) simply by its
behavior and automatically kill it. I am wary of such programs however
because I have read that some of them are spyware or have other undesirable
behaviors themselves. (If anyone knows whether there's truth to that, I'd
like to know that too). Any solid recommendations, based on real world
experience with no undesirable side effects, would be greatly appreciated.
We are completely Win2K, running IE 5.5/6.0 on all machines.

>From: Adult Ref <scref1 at linc.lib.il.us>
>Subject: pop ups
>
>Hi Robin - random pop-up ads on the Reference computers are driving us
>CRAZY!  It's very embarrassing to  be searching w/ a patron and have a Hot
>Chicks in Bikinis ad pop up.
>
>Anything we can do to prevent this?  I know there's pop-up ad killing
>software, but what's the best way?

Robin
Boulton
rboulton at linc.lib.il.us
IT
Manager                                                              (630)
584 0076 x 258
St. Charles Public Library District                         Cell:  (630)
918 8738
St. Charles, IL 60174                                             FAX:
(630) 584 3448
                         http://www.st-charles.lib.il.us