[WEB4LIB] Cross-campus searching

Avi Rappoport avi-list at searchtools.com
Wed Oct 2 15:20:53 EDT 2002

Hi Sika,

Almost all search engines and services let you do that now, Google
will too if you pay them!

A lot depends on whether you want to spend money for a low-end
commercial search engine with admin tools so a librarian can control
it, or whether you want to invest sys admin resources in an open
source search engine -- there are good arguments both ways.

I've heard mixed reviews of Alkaline, some people were not so happy
with bugs and lack of support.

If you're on Windows, do give Alkaline a try, along with MondoSearch,
dtSearch, ASPSeek, the free open source SWISH-E and the high end
search engines such as the Google Search Appliance, FAST Data Search
and Inktomi Enterprise Search.

On Unix, I recommend that you look at Alkaline from Vestris and
Thunderstone Webinator, which have  reasonable admin interfaces.
HomePageSearchEngine and Subject Search Server are inexpensive but
require you to use command lines and configuration files.  There are
also some free open-source search engines, if you don't mind
compiling code: ASPSeek, ht://Dig, SWISH-E and mnoGoSearch.  And of
course Google, Inktomi, AltaVista and FAST Data Search.

Feel free to contact me directly for more advice,

Avi

--
Complete Guide to Search Engines for Web Sites and Intranets
    <http://www.searchtools.com>