Serials Solutions modifications? -- LexisNexis linking

Kenneth R. Irwin kirwin at wittenberg.edu
Tue Nov 12 20:11:30 EST 2002

Hi all,

After my earlier post, a few folks wrote asking how to link directly to
LexisNexis journals. They don't make it easy, and it's not possible to link
a browseable version of the periodical, but it is possible to link to a
search page pre-set to only search the periodical in question. We arrived
at the urls for doing this by downloading the 26 separate A-Z title list
pages, eg:

http://cisweb.lexis-nexis.com/sourceselect/listSources.asp?srcpdn=academic&product=universe&unix=http://web.lexis-nexis.com/universe&extendRQ=Y&startingChar=C

and then parsing the HTML for the relevant bits, namely the titles and urls
for "Search this Title"; the titles were then correlated with the other
data about the title (issn, coverage dates, completeness of coverage),
which is available from:
http://cisweb.lexis-nexis.com/marketsource/productTitlesText.asp?submit=Text+Report
(they make this page tricky to find, but our trusty LexisNexis rep pointed
me to it.)

This process is a big ol' pain in the butt, but it does work. Call you
LexisNexis rep and tell them to make it easier! They are just about the
only fulltext provider to make it this difficult to obtain information that
will drive the use of their products... (*grrr* *sigh*)

I hope this helps; junky code available upon request.

Ken