[WEB4LIB] Search functions

Avi Rappoport avi-list at searchtools.com
Wed Mar 20 18:37:52 EST 2002

The main considerations I've found in site search are future growth
in both site size and search traffic, server OS and internal
resources for configuration maintenance.

Of the services I like Atomz, it is very fast and doesn't require
anyone to know Unix, but the costs increase dramatically after 500
pages.  Likewise MondoSearch is not cheap, but neither of them have
ads on the site.  PicoSearch, FreeFind, FusionBot, S.L.I. and
Webinator are good alternative services.

If you have a Windows server, it's pretty easy to install dtSearch,
Alkaline, Copernic, or Phantom (which also runs on Mac OS 8 & 9).
All of these are good solid programs with decent documentation and
admin interfaces.

Unix is a bit harder, they seem to be less interested in making
things usable 'for the rest of us'.  There's a very nice search
engine that's free and open-source, SWISH-E, designed for metadata
and somewhat oriented towards library use.  A bunch of the others,
such as ASPSeek, mnoGoSearch, ht://Dig are good but you need to know
about compilers and make systems.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly,
also take a look at my site <http://www.searchtools.com>.

Avi

--
Complete Guide to Search Engines for Web Sites and Intranets
    <http://www.searchtools.com>