[WEB4LIB] Site Map vs. Site Index (newbie type question)

Richard Wiggins rich at richardwiggins.com
Thu Jun 13 23:26:38 EDT 2002

My guess is both terms are used in slightly different ways by different
folks, but site maps usually reflect some or all of the site's areas in a
hiearchical fashion.  Apple's goes a couple layers deep:

http://www.apple.com/find/sitemap.html

A lot of sites offer A-Z indexes.  My bias is that they are more useful than
site maps in many cases.  The A-Z is, well, duh, an alphabetical list of
topics.  It's either one big page or 26 (or 27 or 36 pages).  It's like the
index in the back of a book, flattening the hierarchical structure into a
linear list. One of my favorites is the BBC's:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/a-z/

At Michigan State we built a combined A-Z and registered keywords service
out of the same database.  See:

http://keywords.msu.edu/

My problem with site maps is they are inherently organized the same way the
site is, so if the user is having a problem finding things, they may
continue to have the problem.

You might want to check out what Nielsen Norman has to say about site maps,
or, more generally, get a book on information architecture such as the
Rosenfeld/Morville book (new edition out soon).

/rich

On Thu, 13 June 2002, cruby wrote