[WEB4LIB] Re: Hacking Linux websites

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Tue Jul 23 11:31:56 EDT 2002

	Wow, that's a really good question and something I never pondered. I would
*think* that you're correct. Most of the stuff I've seen involving hacks on
both sides of the OS do tend to be radically different. From what I've seen,
to hack a Windows box, a script kiddie runs a script to try and exploit a hole
in Windows security to gain some kind of administrative access. While on a
Linux box, they tend to exploit a security hole to simply change something.
Most of the time, at least from what I've seen and read, Linux hackers don't
get admin access half as often as Windows hackers. I could be wrong, but this
is what I've seen recently.
	Regardless, you're 100% right on the last point. Even Linux boxes need
patching and I think some admins forget that simply because Linux does offer
better security in most instances. They lose sight of the idea that, an
exploit is an exploit, no matter what the OS. The first thing I did after
installing Linux on one of my home systems was to hit the web and get the
latest updates. And I still tend to do that at LEAST once a week, on both my
Windows and Red Hat computers. You can never be too careful.

Dan

--
Mondai wa
The subject in question...
dmesser at yvrl.org
509-452-8541 ext 761
102 N 3rd St  Yakima, WA  98901
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
                                         -Hunter S. Thompson
Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.
                                         -Benny Hill