[WEB4LIB] Re: back button

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Thu Jan 17 13:45:25 EST 2002

At 6:01 AM -0800 1/17/02, Keith Higgs wrote:
>I understand porn sites do this all the time. Close your office door some
>day and visit a couple to fine one that does this. Then, have a look at
>their page code.
>
>That said, the fact that this technique is used by porn sites should tell
>you something about whether you should continue considering it.
>
>Keith

Porn sites are consistently introducing new technology, most of which
subsequently gets used by mainstream publishers.  Pop-unders are one
good example.  The exit maze that porn sites use today will get used
tomorrow by mainstream sites (perhaps for user authentication or
certificate transfer rather than for scum-pushing, but still...).

I've seen porn sites which devote more html code to metadata  (both
keyword and PICS) and linking (dynamic, static, etc.) than 99% of
sites produced by library information providers.  Let's hope that
these technologies WILL get adopted, whatever their heritage. Linking
and metadata help these sites make money, or they wouldn't do it.

In a related topic, I think the function that the original question
was looking for is provided by the html link (next,previous) tag,
which has unfortunately not been implemented in the most popular
browsers. See Thomas Dowling's post on the subject:
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/0107/0052.html

Eric
--
Eric Hellman
please visit our table at Midwinter ALA in New Orleans!

Openly Informatics, Inc.
http://www.openly.com/1cate/      1 Click Access To Everything
http://my.linkbaton.com/                Links that Learn