[WEB4LIB] Re: PDA friendly web sites?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Feb 12 19:30:43 EST 2002

At 03:44 PM 2/12/02 -0800, Robin Boulton wrote:

>Somewhere in the last week or two I read an authoritative-sounding
>assertion that any ADA-compliant web site will display very well on a
>handheld. I don't know that it's true - I was under the impression that,
>for instance, a site written in XML would scale much more efficiently than
>one done in HTML, as far as seeing everything in the display, etc.,
>although a site can be all HTML and still be compliant.

AFAIK, the ADA doesn't provide sufficient details on web design to say one
way or the other.  But a site that complies with the Web Content
Accessibility Guidelines at double-A level is already pretty well
guaranteed to work regardless of browser hacks, screen resolution, font
size, color depth, scripting, or image support.  That, in a nutshell, is
what you have to do to display a web site to PDAs.

Also AFAIK, you can trick out a site with the latest and greatest in XML +
XSLT + [technology of your choice]... and still create an inaccessible mess.

Thomas Dowling
OhioLINK
tdowling at ohiolink.edu