E-FILE ON PUBLIC COMPUTERS

John Dooley dooleyj at memphis.lib.tn.us
Tue Feb 12 17:59:47 EST 2002

Does anyone know if any of the E-partners identified by the IRS can
process tax preparation and filing via typical library public access
Internet clients?

Mix library public internet access with the IRS, and what do you get?
The IRS is publicizing free and for fee "E-file" partners for online
income tax preparation and filing.  The IRS web site does not identify
the technical requirements involved.  A random check of just one of the
20+ partners sites indicates that the service will not work unless the
customers computer will accept permenent cookies.  Libraries providing
free Internet access use a variety of security measures which include
things like not allowing permenent cookies, loading of softare etc.

We have sent an inquiry to the IRS about this, but was wondering if
anyone else has looked into this before we sit down and try all of the
services, one by one, to see what requirements are involved.

Any helful information or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John Dooley
Computer Resources Librarian / Webmaster
Automated Services
Memphis Shelby County Public Library and Information Center.
3030 Poplar Ave.
Memphis TN 38111-3527
ph 901-415-2806
email dooleyj at memphis.lib.tn.us