Dartmouth October Conference

Karen V. Odato Karen.V.Odato at Dartmouth.EDU
Tue Aug 13 10:44:50 EDT 2002

Cross posted. Please excuse the duplication.

Dartmouth College's Biomedical Libraries invite you to attend our sixth annual October Conference for New England Librarians:

"The Web: Super Searching; Super Teaching"

The date and time: Thursday, October 31, 2002. 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM
The location: Alumni Hall, Hopkins Center, at Dartmouth College in beautiful Hanover, New Hampshire (an easy two-hour drive from Boston, Springfield MA, and many other New England locations)
The cost: $60 (includes lunch); parking on your own - approximately $10

As we all suspect and as several studies (e.g., OCLC's June 2002 "White Paper on the Information Habits of College Students," available at <http://www2.oclc.org/oclc/pdf/printondemand/informationhabits.pdf>) have recently confirmed, "the Web" is the often the first place our users look for information. Librarians need to know how to quickly and effectively find what we and our users need - in other words, we must be Web "Super Searchers." And, as we need to teach users to do the same, we must also be Web "Super Teachers."  This year's Biomedical Libraries' October Conference will focus on the new "super" roles of librarians, and the various ways we can respond to these new demands in order to continue to be the leaders in finding and managing information.
----------

The Program:

8:30-9:00
Registration and coffee

9:00-12:00
"Research Techniques of a Super Searcher: A Report From the Trenches"
Mary Ellen Bates, principal of Bates Information Services, Inc. (www.BatesInfo.com), and the author of five books about online research, including Super Searchers Cover the World, Mining for Gold on the Internet, and Researching Online for Dummies. A lively speaker and writer, she has been online since the 1970s.

12:00-1:00
Lunch - included

1:00-2:00
"Teaching the Web in Under an Hour"
Mary Ellen Bates

2:00-2:30
"Inquiry Activities: Active Learning for Online Searching"
Nancy Dennis, Outreach Librarian, Salem State College, Salem MA

230-3:00
"Searching Savvy: Teaching Patrons to Evaluate Their Super Searches"
Corinne Ebbs, Information Instruction Coordinator, Ely Library, Westfield State College, Westfield MA

3:00-3:30
"From Surfing to Searching to Researching and Writing: Library/Classroom Collaboration"
Dr. Susan M. Gilroy, Reference/Instruction Librarian, Lamont Library, Harvard University, Cambridge MA, and Cynthia L. Butos, Senior Lecturer, A.K. Smith Center for Writing and Rhetoric, Trinity College, Hartford CT

3:30
Wrap-Up

Please register early to avoid disappointment; registration is limited.

In 2002, the Biomedical Libraries will be conjoining our Conference to one offered by Dartmouth Academic Computing on "Built Environments on the Web: Structure, Access, Wayfinding, and Delight."

To register or for more information, please visit the Conferences Web site <http://www.dartmouth.edu/~october>.  If you have a question about registration, call 603 650-1661 or email richard.a.tucker at dartmouth.edu.

 Information about our previous October Conferences is available at <http://www.dartmouth.edu/~biomed/services.htmld/#conferences>.