[WEB4LIB] user-modified webpage

Pons, Lisa (PONSLM) PONSLM at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Tue Aug 13 10:39:33 EDT 2002

I would think you could make this an "include" server side or other- and use
a file upload to a specified directory.

Lisa Pons

Webmaster
University Libraries
University of Cincinnati
lisa.pons at uc.edu
(513)556-1431

-----Original Message-----
From: Vicki Falkland [mailto:library at cryptic.rch.unimelb.edu.au]
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 1:58 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: [WEB4LIB] user-modified webpage

hi folks,

i manage (amongst other things) a very small intranet for a two-campus
library (9 staff).
one of the staff creates a fortnightly roster of staff hours, emails it to
me, i convert it to pdf and stick a link to it from the staff page. (i do
not have access to our organisation's web server - i just upload files to
it.)

i'm wondering (perhaps in vain) if there is a way i can create a webpage
which allows this person to update this info herself, from her browser, and
be submitted to the server so that the updated display is there for all
staff to see.

so far i've looked at:
content management (and similar) software - wayyy too complex for this
simple task and too much $$$
PHP - can't find anything pre-written (if it can be done using PHP)
javascript - i'm sure i saw something once "let your users edit your
webpage" and laughed at it ... now i can't find it again.
CGI - might be something possible here, but CGI is no longer supported on
my organisation's web server
ASP - ?? not sure. know nothing about it. don't know if its supported here
(?).

also looked at "contentEditable" documents and building HTML Applications
at msdn.microsoft.com (as well as ASP stuff) which made my brain hurt, and
i came away still unsure if it would do what i am looking for.

is this the sort of thing that XML or DHTML can do? (also know nothing
about, but more than willing to dive in and have a go)

am i being ridiculous and horribly ignorant? is this possible WITHOUT
expensive content management software and/or without hassling my
organisation's webmaster?

any input will be gratefully accepted and will give my brain a rest.

tia,
VF