What to do for college's open house

Stacy Pober spober at manhattan.edu
Mon Oct 22 19:59:19 EDT 2001

I've been asked to set up a "presentation" of the library databases at
the College's open house.  I've put "presentation" in quotes because
from the description of the event, it's not a speech to an audience as
much as a exhibition or fair type of set up.  People wander from table
to table to talk to faculty/staff and ask questions.

In that situation, I was thinking that the best set-up might be to have
two computers set up as our public access terminals are in the library,
so that people can play with them and look up whatever interests them.
In our library, logins are not required for access to the databases, so
that shouldn't be a problem.

The library is normally open on Open House days and that will be the
case this year as well, but our main library building is closed for
renovation, so we'd rather have a strong presence at the fair than take
people three blocks away to our temporary quarters.

We have two basic setups in the library.  One allow users to get to just
about anything that's in the internet (though the home page is set to
the library databases).  The other limits users to the library databases
and the college website.  I could take either set-up to the open house.
I'm wondering if I should set it up for full-access, knowing there's a
risk that some visitors might hang about surfing for prolonged periods
or log into their web based mail. (I'm thinking of the prospective
students bored siblings, for example.)

Any suggestions?  Things that worked well/poorly when you did this sort
of thing?

--
Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist