open source software as freeware

Eric Lease Morgan emorgan at nd.edu
Mon Oct 22 10:06:18 EDT 2001

Eric Lease Morgan <emorgan at nd.edu> wrote:

> Are libraries fooling themselves when it comes to open source software? Is it
> a viable option to commercial software considering the fact that many
> libraries do not have the technical resources to sustain or contribute to open
> source software?

I will try to answer my own questions.

In my opinion, the short answer is, "No, libraries are not fooling
themselves." A longer answer follows.

Open source software represents a viable option for supporting
computer-related library services. Open source software works just as well
as commercial software (but often times more difficult to install), licenses
do not have to be negotiated to escrow any code (nor fees), and if it
well-written, then it can be supported by the Internet community, not just a
dot-com.

Open source software provides the means for libraries to have more control
over how their computers run and the services they provide on them. Instead
of waiting for the next release which is going to solve this problem or that
problem, it is possible for a library to create their own fix, or "scratch
their own itch."

Libraries have always been big on resource sharing, and if we, as a
community, were to federate our financial resources to support open source
software projects, then open source software would seem less of a mystery
and libraries would have more control of their digital library products and
services.

With open source software, what you don't pay in licensing fees you pay in
personnel costs. At the same time, your personnel grow, learn, and become
more experienced with a primary tool of our profession, the computer. This
really pays off in the long run.

Open source software provides a means for our community to be more directly
responsible for the digital library services we provide.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
University Libraries of Notre Dame