[WEB4LIB] academic web administration

Julia Schult jschult at elmira.edu
Mon May 14 16:41:49 EDT 2001

> Is there any professional publication on the importance of the library's
web presence.  My main gripe in all of >this "splash page" and college
banner issue, is that they are forcing the library into being just a normal
>"department" of the college instead of the entity that it is.  However, I
have a heck of time getting >administration to understand this - and I have
really given up at this point but I did a quick search on the ALA >website
and other professional sites but have not yet found anything on the advocacy
of the library's web >presence.  Anyone know of something that might be
useful?  Thanks.

Boy, I know the feeling.  Some days I just want to become a College
Webmaster just so that I can do it *right*!

I'm doing a quick "survey" of the state of 15 small college web pages for
other reasons, but one thing I'm checking is how many have links to the
Library and to Computer Services from the front page.

Out of 15 small colleges and universities, 12 have links to the library on
their college home page, 3 do not.
Several of them use a nice "Quick Jump" drop-down menu to things people
might want to reach on campus, such as the library or IT.  This allows them
free play on their main categories ("Current Students" "Faculty & Staff"
"Prospective Students" "Alumni & Friends" for instance) but still gives
access on the front page to the sub-pages most people want, such as the
library. ;-)

Now, can anyone tell me where a survey of the "state of the current small
College web page" could be published?  Please?

(Tami Jo, if you want the names of the 12 colleges, or the 15, let me know.)

---Julia E. Schult
Access/Electronic Services Librarian
Elmira College
Jschult at elmira.edu