Computers in Libraries and the death of copyright

Drew, Bill drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Mon Mar 19 15:46:23 EST 2001

I guess there are at least two of us out here, Walt.  I still say the
problem is not copyright.  The problem is controlling access.  If you don't
kick and scream when someone makes an illegal copy of your website, that
does not mean that what they did is right.   Even if you make copies of my
web pages, I still own the copyright to them unless I give it up to someone
else.  Even the owners and writers of freeware have copyright.  They just
tell everyone that they can use it without paying any fees.

I personally don't have any problems with Peer to Peer technology.  The
problem is passing along things that you don't own.  Just because you can do
something doesn't mean you should.  My children understand that, why can't
those on the internet understand that?  Just because it is difficult to make
documents secure in a napster world is no reason not to try.  My problem is
not with those that want fair compensation for their work, my problem is
with publishers and others that want to do away with fair use because it is
difficult to monitor use.  I hope I am making sense here.

Bill Drew