[WEB4LIB] Computers in Libraries and the death of copyright

Masters, Gary E GEM at CDRH.FDA.GOV
Mon Mar 19 15:40:31 EST 2001

Walt:

There is a lot in what you say that I have empathy for.  I am a person who
stops at a stop sign even when I know there is nobody near. Just the way
that I am. Laws should be enforceable.  We can pass a law that says one can
not say "The king is a fink." in one's house at midnight.  But who could
enforce it? How about all the laws about what people can do in bed?  I think
that libraries are on the same side as publishers in this one, as we benefit
from copyright laws.  But let us work for one that can be enforced.

That is my point.  The sooner we realize that the old one is lost, the
better.

Gary

Gary E. Masters
Librarian (Systems)