[WEB4LIB] Re: The beginning of the end for the Netscape Browser???

D. Popeck dspp at operamail.com
Sat Jun 9 12:19:39 EDT 2001

>> For me, the real end will be when all versions of 4.x are removed from
>> the Netscape download page.  That will be a bright day.
>
>IMO the key is to ensure that there is a robust open-source
>browser to play David to M$'s IE Goliath.  If and when Mozilla can
>assume Navigator's mantle, *then* it will be a bright day.

I keep Internet Explorer and Nestcape on the desktop for patrons. Netscape was
long the favorite, but Internet Explorer became the browser of choice among
patrons when IE 5.5 was installed.

I feel compelled to add here that there are some of us out there, huddled
behind  stacks in the storage areas, that believe that the best browser is not
made by Microsoft or Netscape. It also is available on a wide number of OSs
such as BeOS, EPOC, Linux, WIndows and now even Macintosh. The browser is
Opera. When people say that competition will end, I think that it has already
- Opera has better better for years. (c:

D. Popeck
Madison Library