[WEB4LIB] Re: The beginning of the end for the Netscape Browser???

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Sat Jun 9 13:16:22 EDT 2001

Saturday, June 09, 2001, 10:20:50 AM, you wrote:

DP> I feel compelled to add here that there are some of us out there, huddled
DP> behind  stacks in the storage areas, that believe that the best browser is not
DP> made by Microsoft or Netscape. It also is available on a wide number of OSs
DP> such as BeOS, EPOC, Linux, WIndows and now even Macintosh. The browser is
DP> Opera. When people say that competition will end, I think that it has already
DP> - Opera has better better for years. (c:

Well, since I'm currently supporting 200 plus machines, and if Opera
is currently 30 bucks a pop (I've not checked lately), let me know
when you have a way of convincing the powers that be that I should be
putting Opera on all those machines to the tune of 6 grand.  And if
you then consider some 3000 university machines....   Even if there
were considerable reductions for site licenses, I just don't see it
happening.  Plus, students aren't about to spend 30 bucks each for a
browser when they have free choices, either.

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA