Outsourcing RAS

Donald Barclay dbarclay at library.tmc.edu
Mon Jul 30 14:23:59 EDT 2001

The first floor of my library was flooded by Tropical Storm Allison, and one
of the things we lost was our remote access server. (Note to self: Do not
store servers on the first floor in the future.)

We also lost our phone system. As soon as it came back up we started getting
calls from users who wanted remote access to our ejournals and databases.
Rebuilding our remote access server will take months, so we are thinking of
outsourcing. (One example of a company that does this is Imperito
(www.imperito.com)).

Does anyone else outsource remote access? Any recommendations, caveats, etc?

Thanks for any information on this perhaps off-topic posting.