[WEB4LIB] PDF files and browsers

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Tue Jan 16 11:55:54 EST 2001

To address your last question: For saving the pdf file without opening
it, in netscape press the shift key before clicking the link to the pdf
file if the url points directly to the pdf file.  In IE I believe you
can use the right mouse button and choose "Save Link".

Thomas

Eric_Wees at pch.gc.ca wrote:

> I have noticed over time that sometimes a PDF file launched from a web site will
> open in the browser window and sometimes Acrobat Reader will launch separately
> to display the document.  I've been sort of peripherally aware of this happening
> and have not taken systematic note of where and when it occurs, which is hard to
> follow anyway given PC and software upgrades and my moving about between my own
> workstation and the Ref desk.  Can someone enlighten me as to whether this is
> determined by a browser preference setting that I have yet to discover, a
> Windows setting, or can the creators of a PDF file fashion it in such a way to
> determine how it will launch?  The practical issue is that I occasionally want
> to save a PDF file to disk which I can't do from Reader.  I have worked around
> it by grabbing it out of the Windows Temp folder.  Any other ideas?  Thanks!
>
> Eric Wees
> Department of Canadian Heritage Library
> 15 Eddy St., Rm. 15-2-B
> Hull (Québec)   Canada K1A 0M5
> Voice: 819-994-5724
> Fax: 819-953-7988
> e-mail: eric_wees at pch.gc.ca

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III            University Library
bennettt at appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine