PDF files and browsers

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Tue Jan 16 10:02:52 EST 2001

>Can someone enlighten me as to whether this is determined by a browser
>preference setting that I have yet to discover, a Windows setting, or can the
>creators of a PDF file fashion it in such a way to determine how it will
>launch?

If you go to Preferences | General in Reader and uncheck Web Browser
Integration, the PDF file will open in a separate window.  We had to do this
for a while when we used Internet Explorer 5.01 due to the bug in handling
certain long URLs - you could call up PDF tax forms without difficulty, but
certain database services, such as Ebscohost and Infotrac, would not show the
image.

Post-5.01 versions fixed this problem.  Perhaps your library has not upgraded?

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org