[WEB4LIB] PDF files and browsers

Tasmin Nyaforh tnyaforh at lawrence.lib.ks.us
Tue Jan 16 10:15:40 EST 2001

Eric,

Adobe Reader can be used as a plug-in or a Helper Application.  A plug-in
opens the PDF file in the browser window, while using Acrobat as an Helper
Application launches the viewer in a separate window and then displays PDF
files within the separate Acrobat viewer Window.

To configure the Acrobat viewer to be used as a helper application you need
to start the Acrobat viewer.  Choose file>preferences>general.  Deselect the
option "Web Browser Integration" in the options section and then click OK.
Restart your browser.  Whenever you choose to open a PDF file, you should
get a dialog box that says "open it" or "save it to disk".  If you don't
want this to show up every time, I believe there is also a box that you can
deselect to prevent the dialog box from appearing.

I hope this works for you.  I just found out how to do this last Friday and
it works great.

 trn

Tasmin R. Nyaforh
Technology Coordinator