Library "Splash" pages

George Porter george at library.caltech.edu
Fri Sep 15 12:30:00 EDT 2000

There are a couple of instances where links provided on the Caltech Library
System website <http://library.caltech.edu> go to splash pages rather than
directly to the named resource.  The splash pages are explanatory about
access to some databases (locally mounted Web of Science and decision point
explanations to a handful of Ovid databases).  This enables us to spell out
access restrictions or permissions which vary from the norm on our site.

With Web of Science, it also means that we can announce enhancements or down
time for the host machine, even when the host is down.  It doesn't happen
often, but it allows for a far more graceful user experience than the more
typical "Server not responding" class of message.

Outside of these very limited circumstances, splash pages (in libraries and
most other places on the planet) are somewhere between evil and poorly
conceived.  You could explain to your local web gurus that studies have
found a precipitous drop-off in click through rates for each unnecessary,
from the user's perspective, barrier thrown in their way.  What's next....
unnecessary usernames and passwords, the only surer way to discourage people
from using your resources and services?

George S. Porter
Sherman Fairchild Library of Engineering & Applied Science
Caltech, 1-43
Pasadena, CA  91125-4300
Telephone (626) 395-3409 Fax (626) 431-2681