[WEB4LIB] Wireless and Laptop Libraries query results

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Wed Mar 15 15:34:15 EST 2000

In addition to usual web services, our wireless laptops offer Microsoft
Office and Corel WordPerfect which is not found on our Reference PCs.
Although, these suites are on the computers in our lab which are
accessible only during certain hours of the day provided a class is not
in session.   The wireless laptops offer access to these programs any
time that the library is open.  The Cabletron Access Points that our
wireless laptops communicate with are secure in that the client settings
have to have the same Network Name as the Access Point's Network Name,
so I am working with computer support throughout campus to agree on a
campus wide network name that would allow Access Points to be set up
with a name that would be shared by all laptop computers setup for
faculty or staff.  This means that if a department is on a wireless
network and the professor brings his/her notebook to the library, they
have full access to the network including any programs set up for them
that they normally use.

Thomas

"Drew, Bill" wrote:

> I have come to some conclusions as a result of my reading and
> correspondence.  Many libraries are adapting their current services to
> laptop users and wireless users.  Very few are coming up with any clearly
> new services designed for such users.
> I find this a little disappointing but not surprising.  I have been trying
> for the last year to come up with new and bold services directed at the
> laptop user.  It is clearly difficult to do this.  About the only thing that
> is at all original is our "Talk to a Librarian" service.  That is really
> moving phone reference calls to a chat based type of environment.  Not
> particularly bold and daring.  I am currently continuing my review of what
> little literature is out there.  There were also several suggestions about
> starting a discussion group.  My own suggestion here is that such discussion
> would be appropriate for PACS-L.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Here are some of the responses --
>
> >From GraceAnne DeCandido:
>
> Take a look at what I did in the PLA Tech Note on Wireless
>  at http://www.pla.org/wireless.html
>
> >From Dale Foster:
>
> For a quick start, take a look at the Wireless Libraries
> Homepage at http://www.auburn.edu/fostecd/docs/wireless.html.
>
> I got responses from a some of the ThinkPad University sites:
>
> Kathleen Parker, West Virginia Wesleyan College --
>
> 1. "more accurate to say our library has developed services in
> response to ubiquitous access than in response to laptops alone."
>
> 2. "Once we could assume users would have the computers, the connectivity,
> and the skills required for electronic information, we began to make that a
> preferred collection format."
>
> 3."In the library itself, we see the consequences of changing pedagogy --
> much
> more emphasis on collaborative learning and group projects.  So we give over
> lots of space to group work areas.  We use wireless network connections in
> this building, so it makes it easy for student groups to be flexible in size
> and location.  It's not unusual to see (and hear) three or four students
> gathered around a table, all with computers open.  I remind myself that
> sometimes learning is a noisy process, and we no longer make any effort to
> keep our first floor quiet."
>
> 4."circulate loaner laptops to part time students"
> 5. "in general I can send you words of optimism that
> the IT program here made life as a librarian more interesting."
>
> Owen Williams, University of Minnesota, Crookston
>
> "Perhaps the biggest change has
> been the concept of me going to them instead of them coming to me for
> instruction.  Besides preparing them for remote access (which most of them
> do, I much prefer going into the classroom and it certainly is better for
> instruction.  Almost all of our classrooms are wired at each seat so they
> can follow along with me as I demonstrate a search or database.  I almost
> [...]

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II             University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine