[WEB4LIB] Wireless and Laptop Libraries query results

Jennifer Heise jahb at lehigh.edu
Wed Mar 15 13:39:59 EST 2000

> I find this a little disappointing but not surprising.  I have been trying
> for the last year to come up with new and bold services directed at the
> laptop user.  It is clearly difficult to do this.  About the only thing that
> is at all original is our "Talk to a Librarian" service.  That is really
> moving phone reference calls to a chat based type of environment.  Not
> particularly bold and daring.  I am currently continuing my review of what
> little literature is out there.  There were also several suggestions about
> starting a discussion group.  My own suggestion here is that such discussion
> would be appropriate for PACS-L.

Actually, adding a chat-type interface for reference questions is, to
me, a major step...

but I think the problem with finding new services for laptop/wireless
users is that going from workstations in the library to providing
wireless/laptop access isn't much of a jump: all you are doing is
cutting the cable that bound them in one place.

--
/   Jennifer Heise, Helpdesk/Librarian, Lehigh Univ. Information
Resources
  / Phone (610) 758-3072          Email: jahb at lehigh.edu

"Comment is free, but facts are on expenses." -- Tom Stoppard