Wireless and Laptop Libraries query results

Drew, Bill drewwe at morrisville.EDU
Wed Mar 15 11:37:40 EST 2000

I have come to some conclusions as a result of my reading and
correspondence.  Many libraries are adapting their current services to
laptop users and wireless users.  Very few are coming up with any clearly
new services designed for such users.
I find this a little disappointing but not surprising.  I have been trying
for the last year to come up with new and bold services directed at the
laptop user.  It is clearly difficult to do this.  About the only thing that
is at all original is our "Talk to a Librarian" service.  That is really
moving phone reference calls to a chat based type of environment.  Not
particularly bold and daring.  I am currently continuing my review of what
little literature is out there.  There were also several suggestions about
starting a discussion group.  My own suggestion here is that such discussion
would be appropriate for PACS-L.

Any thoughts?

Here are some of the responses --

>From GraceAnne DeCandido:

Take a look at what I did in the PLA Tech Note on Wireless
 at http://www.pla.org/wireless.html

>From Dale Foster:

For a quick start, take a look at the Wireless Libraries
Homepage at http://www.auburn.edu/fostecd/docs/wireless.html.

I got responses from a some of the ThinkPad University sites:

Kathleen Parker, West Virginia Wesleyan College --

1. "more accurate to say our library has developed services in
response to ubiquitous access than in response to laptops alone."

2. "Once we could assume users would have the computers, the connectivity,
and the skills required for electronic information, we began to make that a
preferred collection format."

3."In the library itself, we see the consequences of changing pedagogy --
much
more emphasis on collaborative learning and group projects.  So we give over
lots of space to group work areas.  We use wireless network connections in
this building, so it makes it easy for student groups to be flexible in size
and location.  It's not unusual to see (and hear) three or four students
gathered around a table, all with computers open.  I remind myself that
sometimes learning is a noisy process, and we no longer make any effort to
keep our first floor quiet."

4."circulate loaner laptops to part time students"
5. "in general I can send you words of optimism that
the IT program here made life as a librarian more interesting."

Owen Williams, University of Minnesota, Crookston

"Perhaps the biggest change has
been the concept of me going to them instead of them coming to me for
instruction.  Besides preparing them for remote access (which most of them
do, I much prefer going into the classroom and it certainly is better for
instruction.  Almost all of our classrooms are wired at each seat so they
can follow along with me as I demonstrate a search or database.  I almost
always ask them to do their own searches and I can look over their shoulder
as they do it.  The biggest challenge is keeping them off of ICQ during
instruction times however.  That is another issue though.  :-)"

-----
Wilfred (Bill) Drew
Associate Librarian, Systems and Reference
SUNY Morrisville College Library
drewwe at morrisville.edu
Home: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe
Not Just Cows: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/