[WEB4LIB] RE: Searching for AIDS: Consider Alta Vista, InfoSeek

Tara Calishain calumet at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 26 12:53:05 EDT 2000

At 09:30 AM 7/26/00 -0700, Eric Rumsey wrote:
>These really don't work well for AIDS:
>-Simpli: Of the first 10 hits, only 2 are on AIDS the disease. There's no
>indication of the total number of hits.
>-Oingo: The "Web Sites" search is taken directly from Alta Vista, as it
>says. The "Oingo categories" section is from Open Directory.

Simpli: I find it works much better if I use my own definitions.

At Simpli, enter a search term and hit enter. The engine will think for a
minute and
provide you with some clarifications for your definitions, including "Other
(add your
own)"

Select "Add Your Own" and try it that way. For example, you could type in aids
and under "Add Your Own" put hiv disease.

You could also try Subjex ( http://www.subjex.com/ ) which is a dialogue
engine. In my experience, however, it confuses easily.

Tara
ResearchBuzz.com