Searching for AIDS: Consider Alta Vista, InfoSeek

Eric Rumsey rumsey at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Wed Jul 26 12:31:34 EDT 2000

Thanks a lot for the comments from list members. I do feel a bit red-faced
about forgetting to search for AIDS in upper-case -- As Susan Colowick
points out, Alta Vista does have the useful feature of distinguishing upper
case, and it does in fact produce all relevant hits in the first 100 hits
when the search is for "AIDS." InfoSeek also has this feature. I searched
for "AIDS" (upper case) in all 11 search engines used in the article, and
Alta Vista and InfoSeek are the only ones that distinguish upper case.
Again, my apologies for my glaring oversight -- A revised version of the
article will be up in the next couple of days.

About the other comments on meaning-based search engines ....
 >The new "meaning-based" search engines like Simpli and Oingo are designed for
 >such ambiguous searching.
 >http://simpli.com/
 >http://www.oingo.com/

These really don't work well for AIDS:
-Simpli: Of the first 10 hits, only 2 are on AIDS the disease. There's no
indication of the total number of hits.
-Oingo: The "Web Sites" search is taken directly from Alta Vista, as it
says. The "Oingo categories" section is from Open Directory.

Eric Rumsey, Hardin Library for the Health Sciences
University of Iowa, Iowa City IA 52242
<eric-rumsey at uiowa.edu>
319-335-9875 (voice), 319-335-9897 (fax)
Hardin Meta Directory of Internet Health Sources - Kudos -
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/news.html