[WEB4LIB] Web dev shop

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Thu Jan 6 19:47:37 EST 2000

At 02:25 PM 1/6/00 -0800, Beth Tang wrote:
>A friend just asked me a question about optimal set up for a Windows/NT shop
>using IIS.  They are wondering about web development and hosting set-up.

It isn't clear to me exactly what the question is.  Maybe it has been too
long of a day.  I'm fond of NT for the server, but NOT of IIS.  Unless
they're unalterably committed to it for some reason, I'd hope they'd look
at alternatives such as WebSite, even if they don't choose to use them.

>It's a bit beyond me, so I'm hoping to tap the collective wisdom of the
>list.  What devices and procedures are recommended, either based on
>experience or according to a recent article?

That would all depend on what they're trying to do.  Are we talking about a
full blown ecommerce site, or just something for personal interests, or
something in between?  Do they need things like ColdFusion or .asp?

>  Do you mirror a site for fault
>tolerance?

Same kind of questions as above.  How important is guaranteed 24/7
operation?  RAID, and at what level?  Fall back boxes?

>  What is the best arrangement (not necessarily physical) of the
>hardware, i.e., testing/staging/production servers?

Again, it isn't clear whether they're planning on setting up their own site
on their own property, doing co-location with an ISP, buying time on an
ISP's servers, or something else.

With more information as to at least what level of operation we're talking
about, people can give you better answers.  I realize that your friend may
not want to disclose exactly what is being planned, but knowing whether
we're talking about ebay or East Nowhere Public Library will make a
significant difference.

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165