[WEB4LIB] RE: Restricting launches to IP-restricted licensed web services

Margaret Handrow mmhandrow at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 6 19:54:59 EST 2000

>From: Dan Lester <dan at 84.com>
>To: mmhandrow at hotmail.com, Multiple recipients of list
><web4lib at webjunction.org>
>Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] RE: Restricting launches to IP-restricted  licensed
>web services
>Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 10:05:28 -0700
>

>However, the provision of "off campus" or "out of the
>building" access is forbidden in some contracts.  Other vendors will permit
>such access if you pay an additional fee.  It is certainly >possible that
>you're violating some contracts with some vendors.

We did some checking with our vendors, especially those with single
user/time licenses.  Their main concern was that non-library patrons, doing
remote access, would be able to access their databases.  We have our system
set up so that our patrons get a "Database unavailable. Please try later"
message when the maximum number of licensed users has been reached.  This
arrangement was something everbody could agree on, and so far there have not
been any problems, or complaints.

There are several reasons why this works, especially for our remote user.
First we allow only adult library card holders to have remote access
capability.  Second the computer being accessed is in the building, and
meerly acts as an additional workstation attached to the LAN.  Third the
computer keeps track of how long any given user is on the workstation.  We
limit remote access to two hours a day per person.  We have had to limit
access time to allow people a fair chance to use the resources.

As to being a practice uncommon in public libraries, McAllen is located in
deep south Texas, about ten miles away from the Mexican border.  The
practice that we follow is very common to the practice at the other public
libraries, and the university campus in Edinburg.  Because we are so far
away from the rest of the world we have had to come up with some innovative
ways to supply, or share our resources with the public we serve.  We keep
our systems simple, but effective.

Margaret Handrow
Assistant Director
McAllen Memorial Library