[WEB4LIB] Restricting launches to IP-restricted licensed web services

Paul H. Gray dekerivers at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 6 09:48:47 EST 2000

> My position has been--other libraries provide direct, unrestricted links
> to licensed services, so it must be OK for us to do it too.  In fact, it
> seems like a violation of the spirit of IP address-restricting for a
> publisher to assume the library will also restrict the access to a single
> specific library web page that launches the service.  But I feel I need
> more muscle behind my argument than that.  Can anyone help?

You are exactly right  -
If the vendor has set you up an account that is restricted only by IP
address(range) then they have indicated they don not care who is accessing
the service as long as they access it from a 'recognzed' address.

If for some reason your instution determines that it  wants to restrict
access further - THEN - you would have a problem.

As for LexixNexis - you might want to double check your agreement with
them -
We have an agreement that requires access be limited to students in our
paralegal program -- and they provide a username password system on their
end to facilitate this.

PHG
TCCD NE
Hurst, TX