[WEB4LIB] RE: Disabling Netscape preferences menu

Debra Lords dlords at library.utah.edu
Tue Jan 4 19:00:14 EST 2000

Michael,

When you do this, what error messages display?  If you are
talking about personal machines, who cares.  For public access
machines, I'd be very, very cautious.

We leave ours open but have software on that re-writes the
prefs.js when the machines are either re-booted or re-logged on,
which happens at least once daily.  We use PC-Rdist available
from Pyzzo Software (http://www.pyzzo.com/) to do the file
replacements.  We justify paying for sotware to do this because:
1. We are in a highly hostile envrionment (users *trying* to
break machines)
2. We run several applications that require certain files remain
writeable for the application to work -- at all -- but we don't
want individual settings to remain.
3. Even if it worked, the number of questions at the service
counter would drive the counter staff to distraction and they
would drive us to madness.

Hope this helps.

--

Debbie