[WEB4LIB] HTML editor for large files?

Dorothy Day day at indiana.edu
Fri Feb 11 23:30:38 EST 2000

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Stacy Pober wrote:

> I have been pretty satisfied with Dreamweaver overall, but have two
> quibbles.  One is that it gets very slow when I try to edit really big
> files.  I don't think it's just a system resource problem - I'm working
> on a pretty fast Pentium II with 64MB RAM - which should be adequate

> Does anyone know of an editor or page creator that doesn't fool too much
> with your existing HTML and handles large files well?

Have you tried one of the free or shareware text editors adapted for
html editing? Some handle really large files and display tagging and
links in different colors to make it easy to see what you're doing. You
might pull the large files into one of these in order to break them up
for easier editing in Dreamweaver. The two below are just a couple that
are well-regarded for html editing:

NoteTab Pro/NoteTab Lite (replacement for Notepad; shareware/freeware)
http://www.notetab.com/ntp.htm

EditPad (another replacement for Notepad; "postcardware")
http://www.jgsoft.com/editpad.html

*****
Dorothy Day
School of Library & Information Science
Indiana University
day at indiana.edu
*****

	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."