[WEB4LIB] HTML editor for large files?

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Fri Feb 11 20:54:57 EST 2000

I'm not sure which version of Dreamweaver your using but in 2.0 you can
tell it pretty much to leave your code alone if you go and set
preferences under the edit menu.  If there are  specific changes its
making, you may want to send that to the list and myself or someone else
might know a fix.

As far as big files, I think Dreamweaver is also part java applet so it
may be slow.  If they are really large files, maybe they should be
divided into smaller files for quicker editing and so the person viewing
won't have to wait for a long load time and a lot of scrolling.

Thomas

Stacy Pober wrote:

> I have been pretty satisfied with Dreamweaver overall, but have two
> quibbles.  One is that it gets very slow when I try to edit really big
> files.  I don't think it's just a system resource problem - I'm working
> on a pretty fast Pentium II with 64MB RAM - which should be adequate, I
> would think.  The other is that, as far as I can tell, there's no way to
> have it set to ask me to approve of HTML code changes it makes.
>
> Does anyone know of an editor or page creator that doesn't fool too much
> with your existing HTML and handles large files well?
>
> I do know that really big files are a pain to download on the web, but
> sometimes I like to start with the large file and chop it up into
> smaller ones in the HTML editor if I can.
>
> --
> Stacy Pober, Information Alchemist
> Manhattan College Libraries
> spober at manhattan.edu
> http://www.manhattan.edu/library/

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II             University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine