[WEB4LIB] HTML editor for large files?

Walter W. Giesbrecht walterg at yorku.ca
Fri Feb 11 20:47:26 EST 2000

Stacy Pober wrote:

> I have been pretty satisfied with Dreamweaver overall, but have two
> quibbles.  One is that it gets very slow when I try to edit really big
> files.  I don't think it's just a system resource problem - I'm working
> on a pretty fast Pentium II with 64MB RAM - which should be adequate, I
> would think.  The other is that, as far as I can tell, there's no way to
> have it set to ask me to approve of HTML code changes it makes.

If you're using Dreamweaver 2, look under Edit/Preferences/HTML
Rewriting. Make sure the box next to 'Warn when fixing or
removing tags' is checked. You'll be warned now. I've never had
reason to object when it fixed things for me, since it only fixes
things that needed fixing anyway (like invalidly nested and
unclosed tags, and extra closing tags).

The problem you are having (slow performance with big files) may
be Dreamweaver's way of telling you to split the file into
smaller pieces :)

Walter Giesbrecht                               walterg at yorku.ca
Data Librarian                         (416) 736-2100 ext. 77551
York University                                         113Y SSB