[WEB4LIB] Need a TIFF plug-in

Elizabeth L. Brown ebro at loc.gov
Fri Dec 8 10:45:53 EST 2000

Installing a new TIFF player may not make the Quicktime problem go away.  We had to figure out how to get rid of the Quicktime problem and occasionally are called upon to explain the fix to American Memory users with this problem.  I've saved the text we use.

1.  Play a Quicktime Movie with the Quicktime Player (Try this one; it's short, even if the URL isn't:
 <http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/papr:@filreq(@field(NUMBER+@band(edmp+0026A))+ at field(COLLID+edison))>.)
2.  At the right end of the Qucktime player's navigation bar (at bottom of window) click on the tiny down arrow.
3.  Select "Plug-In Settings"
4.  Select "MIME Settings"
5.  Double click the TIFF entries until the plus-sign goes away.
See anything else with a plus that you'd rather have something besides Quicktime handle?  Double click it too.

This information (edited by me) is courtesy of the Apple website, posted after someone with a support contract asked the question there: <http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n36508>.

***

I'm liking AlternaTIFF software lately: <http://www.mieweb.com/alternatiff/> to display TIFF files.  It's free.

This software is sophisticated enough to read TIFF headers.  If the height and width dimensions in the headers do not match the actual image (which happens often enough) it displays by the numbers in the header, not the actual image's dimensions, making them look distorted. If this happens to you, you might want to disable this feature.  Here's how:

After you have installed Alternatiff successfully....
1.  Open a tiff file and use the right mouse button to activate a menu.
2.  UN-check the aspect ratio under "more settings."
3.  Activate the menu again and click "save settings" (five lines below "more settings") to keep this setting for next time.

Good luck.

Betty Brown

At 08:22 AM 12/7/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Both Netscape 4.7 and IE 5.5 try to use Quicktime to open a TIFF file (.TIF
>extension), but it's not working.  Could someone let me know what plug-in do
>I need to get to view it?

   Elizabeth L. Brown
   Automated Reference Services Librarian
   National Digital Library Program, LIBN/NDL/LC(1330)
   Library of Congress, Washington, DC  20540-1330
   ebro at loc.gov                telephone: 202/707-2235

   Library of Congress American Memory Home Page:
   http://memory.loc.gov/