Inernet Explorer menu customizing

Julia Schult jschult at elmira.edu
Fri Aug 25 09:36:38 EDT 2000

First, thanks to everybody for the help with the Video
Capture Card question (especially Scott, Armin, Steve, Bob
and Richard) and the foreign language browser support.

I'm going to take the leap of installing Internet Explorer
on our public machines, primarily because of their superior
language support.  I have looked at the Web4Lib Reference
Center page, and innumerable IE Tips and Tricks pages, and
have figured out quite a bit about configuring IE for public
use, but I still want to:

Remove from IE all menu items having to do with mail,
newsgroups, editing web pages and saving shortcuts to the
desktop.

So, from File I want to remove or grey out New Message and
Post, Edit, and Send; and basically there is nothing on the
Tools menu I want (mail & news, Windows Update).

If anyone knows how to eliminate these, please email me
directly.  I know about Cooler from Fortres, and if anyone
has used that specifically for IE please let me know how it
went, but I would prefer a solution that is do-it-yourself &
free - of course! 8-)

---Julia E. Schult
Access/Electronic Services Librarian
Elmira College