[WEB4LIB] Re: Illegal to link?

Dennis Moser dennism at library.tmc.edu
Thu Aug 24 16:55:09 EDT 2000

James, Charles, et alia,

I think a less-sanguine approach is called for: while this decision was
specifically addressing the issues of posting or linking to DeCSS code,
there have been several other court cases that have been closely identified
or tied to this one that have ramifications for anyone who runs a website. I
draw your attention to this article:

...which ALSO discusses the DeCSS trial. Jesse Berst, and ZDNet, have a
reputation for being corporatist news sources. As a result, what is
presentedin this article fails to provide any real substance to the very
real threat that has resulted from both the Scientology and
Microsoft/Kerberos cases. While Berst DOES address a single aspect of the
DeCSS case, it is done so in his usual sensationalist provocative manner,
one which is premeditated to result in more page views that then translate
into greater advertising revenues for Ziff-Davis.

The implications for linking reach far beyond what we are being told about
in the Berst article, somethihng which the Wired article make rather clear.

Dennis
Dennis Moser, MILS, Web Librarian
John P. McGovern Historical Collections and Research Center
Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library
1133 M. D. Anderson Blvd, Houston, TX 77030-2809
dennism at library.tmc.edu