Elementary CSS Questions

John Creech creechj at mumbly.lib.cwu.edu
Thu Sep 23 17:47:14 EDT 1999

Web gurus,

I have two beginner's questions about implementing style sheets; I have
just begun experimenting with them.

1. Netscape is our "default" browser on this campus, and the one I
generally work with.  I usually preview pages in IE before going live with
them.  I've been working on some test pages with css, but had only been
previewing them in Netscape, where they looked ok.

I just pulled the pages up in IE and the look was considerably different,
and not expected at all.  And stunk.  Can someone tell me a place to start
as to where to bone up, a place that would explain such an elemental
difference in look between 2 browsers? I've been looking at the W3C pages,
using the 1st ed. of Lie and Bos' "CSS: Designing for the Web" book, and
using some of the CSS-related pages at WDVL.

2.  I also have a simple example that's stumped me. I have an image at top
of a page, followed by a table, then lower down the page, more images and
another table.  I feel like a freshman at the ref desk, but ... the first
table is drawn up under the initial image that occurs above it in the
html. I don't want to take up alot of bandwidth on this, but if anybody's
got a 1 min. answer and some pointers, I'd sure appreciate it.  Thanks.

John Creech
Electronic Resources & Systems Librarian
Central Washington University Library
400 E. 8th Ave. | Ellensburg, WA 98926 | 509-963-1081
creechj at www.lib.cwu.edu