[WEB4LIB] Elementary CSS Questions

John Creech creechj at mumbly.lib.cwu.edu
Tue Sep 28 14:34:36 EDT 1999

Many thanks to those who responded to my css questions, including Thomas
Dowling, Eric Rogers, Andrew Mutch, Corey Murata, John Hubbard, and Kevin
Bishop.

I'd now like to nominate myself for the First Annual Web4lib Darwin
Awards. My first clue was that both the html and the style sheet I'd built
validated via the W3C validator.

When I wrote the list asking about IE doing such a lousy job of viewing
the page I'd built, I didn't notice that I was <cough> viewing the page
through IE 2.0. I now have a bevy of browsers to view my work with.

As to my table question, wherein a table was being drawn up the page and
being placed underneath the initial image at top of page, I searched the
web4lib archives, read Thomas Dowling's post on screen resolution, and
studied the page he built at http://maroon.ohiolink.edu/foo/.  That helped
me figure out that I needed to set a table class=name, set a margin-top of
x% for that class, and then call the class from the document, which then
rendered the table just fine underneath the image.  Thanks again for all
of your help and suggestions.

John Creech
Electronic Resources & Systems Librarian
Central Washington University Library
400 E. 8th Ave. | Ellensburg, WA 98926 | 509-963-1081
creechj at www.lib.cwu.edu