[WEB4LIB] Re: Please help SLJ: Milestones in Library

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Thu Nov 4 16:41:16 EST 1999

At 12:48 PM 10/7/99 -0700, Sue Kamm wrote:
>The UCLA School of Library Service [may it rest in peace] was one of the first
>to require a course, Data Processing in the Library, which was required as a
>core course (along with reference, cataloging, and acquisitions).  Robert M.
>Hayes, later dean of the school, taught it.

I took the first courses taught in "Library Automation" and in "Information
Storage and Retrieval" at another lamented library school, Northern
Illinois University, during the two semesters of 66-67, both taught by
Robert Broadus, who later taught many years at Carolina.  When I later
taught the courses at Mankato State (69-73), I used Hayes'  book as the
text for the former.

>I think UCLA may have been
>implementing some kind of automated system then (1966-67).
>
>Has anyone search Library Literature or LISA for articles on library
>automation?

There are tons of them.  Parker's in 65 was the first I know of.  Still
have a photocopy of it somewhere.  JOLA started in 68, I believe.  (on
vacation in CA --re-5nternet 35brar5an c6nference
--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165