grc.com...interesting item

Kim Lord kimlord at suffield-library.org
Thu Nov 4 15:04:26 EST 1999

Hi all,

This may be a bit off topic, but interesting all the same.  I had found a
news item http://www.pcworld.com/pcwtoday/article/0,1510,13232,00.html
concerning PC security over the Internet and the level of vulnerability,
because of Windows default network settings, many systems had.  We have
been careful about securing machines inside the building assuming a
potential hacker sitting at a library computer, but had an evidently false
sense of security because we are part of a larger consortium.

The site, www.grc.com, with it's Shieldsup utility is an education in what
could go wrong.

I'd be curious what other "not formally trained" computer administrators
think of this.

Kim Lord
Assistant Director
Kent Library